Tuesday, August 08, 2006


Today was up and out for a bit of versed. Oh how sweet the sleep was. We packed the car this morning for a short trip over to the Tucson Surgery Center where I was going to go on a mini-vacation while my ortho doc did a little bit of mining for cartilagenous gold in my right knee.

There was this tree back in '97 that was just minding it's business when my wretched hubris led me and a 54-horsepower dirt bike (my first!- that damned Honda CR250), out of the sky -literally- for a visit. It didn't go so well for me or the bike as the tree brushed me off and hung onto the bike. It took four or five guys to go back and get it out of the tree. It took 3 months before I could walk, or work again. I still remember the office ogress (that's as nicely as I could put it), at that car dealership where I worked, telling me that she hadn't filed my disability insurance paperwork. After that incident my re-located shoulder didn't work very well and my knee had a big frown on it in the form of a scar (see picture) where the handlbar crossbar mount had torn it open. Billet aluminum parts aren't really soft and fuzzy, especially around the edges, but then again, you're not supposed to slam into them with soft fleshy parts of your body. Silly me.


My kneecap was fractured on the proximal medial corner and the lovely ortho guy there in BFE Missouri (aka St. Joseph) told me to just let it heal. Nice. I let it heal and every time I kneel down it crunched like that sound your mouth makes when you munch the chicken cartilage off of the end of a hot wing at Hooters. Nine years of that hopefully ended this morning, but I'll know for sure sometime soon. It's a bit swollen since they distended it with water and sliced into it, but it really isn't much. I didn't even bother filling the scrip for the Vicodin. That crap is only good for a headache anyway.


The lovely wife (LW) sat and waited on me from noon to around 3:30 or so. When I finally got out of recovery she was famished, flustered, and had fed CP twice. I take forever in recovery. I made sure that she had $$ for lunch, but she said that she didn't want to lug CP all over the place to find the cafeteria in the hospital. We dashed off to a burger joint for some lunch and then home where she settled CP and I in and, after a while, went back to work.

No comments: