Wednesday, June 07, 2006


Whew! It's been a while since I put anything down here, or anywhere else for that matter.

We just returned from Santa Fe. I had to attend a massage seminar there. It's a racket really. The states mandate that you take a certain amount of continuing education within a certain amount of time and the providers know that they have you over a barrel. They're all too happy to charge you $450 for a weekend of their opinions on this or that "new" technique. There aren't really any new techniques as such, just new names for them. I managed to skim a few new ways of looking at things and some ideas about assessment that I can use in my practice. We'll see.....

It was CP's first road trip and she did well. She slept in the car seat most of the way and then spent the night fussing and keeping her parents awake. Maybe we'll travel at night in the future. I don't know the answer to this problem. We have to go to a family reunion in July, so maybe we'll try something different then.

We rented a Hyundai Sonata for the trip from Budget and it performed well. It's pretty evident why the US carmakers are taking it in the shorts after a long drive in that car. It was nice. I wish that it got more than 23mpg though, but if they don't have to conform to any efficiency standards, why should they?

I found out this morning while listening to the local NPR station, that the county is going ahead with the purchase of some Diebold voting machines under the ruse of helping better serve the disabled voters in the state and county. I don't really think that this is a good idea and I like the old paper ballot method. Call me crazy for wanting a verifiable vote count. It makes me wonder if our secretary of state is looking to follow the path of Katherine Harris.

There was an interview also with John Peterson about the upcoming documentary movie that's being shown on PBS called The Real Dirt on Farmer John. It sounds like an interesting show and it showcases the promise of Community Supported Agriculture. Through my work with community garden projects, I'm a bit biased toward that idea, but for people who don't want to or can't grow their own, I think it's a pretty good plan. It was pretty sad to hear about how the community reacted to him initially by calling him a devil worshipper and other crap. I guess small town small minds will do as they may....

No comments: