Sunday, June 18, 2006

Got up early yesterday, got the LW ready for the day, went out to the truck ready to go downtown to the CNF meeting and as soon as I turned the key I knew how my day was going to go. RRrrr... RRrrr ....clickttttttt. I've been putting off any sort of vehicle maintenance for a while now and it's finally caught up with me. This battery wasn't very old, but I can only assume that the heat and low humidity had finally beaten it out of liquid and the spark of life needed to start things spinning. I took the superJetta over to one of the local parts stores where I parted ways with over $100 and loaded up on things involved with engine electrical and lubrication systems. Once home and rushing to beat the heat, I smirked as this was one of the few times that I've ever actually worked on a vehicle while taking advantage of a "shade tree". Humor for a guy who used to work the flat-rate system in dealerships. In short order the truck was done and the car followed. Thanks to this, we can now take off in the car with the A/C running without having to rev the crap out of it.

I had to work in the afternoon, so most of the day was spent lazing around. An uneventful and indulgent pre-father's day trip to the grocery store wound out the evening. Lots of smiles for the middle-aged bald guy carrying a 6-week old infant! Cake mix, sour cream, ice cream, and a package of oreos. I think that I'll get accustomed to this father's day thing....

This morning we were all up and out - headed for the Chaverim garden and the monthly garden meeting there. It's a good group. Very few of the gardeners actually belong to the congregation there, but they make the garden a beautiful, quirky, and interesting place. George was being peppered with wilt questions, as usual, and handled them well. Tomato russet mite and my buddy the squash vine borer were about and making themselves known. The plants seem to be holding up pretty well to the heat and insect pests. Life struggles to go on, no matter what.

The LW, CP, and I went over to the Kelly's place for tea and cherry tomatoes afterwards where we discussed everything from babies to strawbale B&B's. George and Darlene were there and told us of their recent trip to the Antiques RoadShow as it stopped here recently. George was a bit disappointed in their review of a portable writing table that was given him by his grandmother, but noted that the reviewer took notice of the brass Tanganyikan military uniform buttons that he had purchased when he was a young horticulture agent there in service of the Queen.

I had an agreement with the LW that we wouldn't buy things for each other, but it seems that she has taken this first father's day as an opportunity to blow that deal. On my first father's day, not only did I win the beautiful wife and child lottery, I got a copy of the oft-quoted movie Raising Arizona and a box style cheese grater. Mmmmm cheese graters... See, we've had one of those pampered chef flat ones for a while (that they won't even sell anymore) and I curse that thing's very existence any time that I have to use it in the kitchen. It flexes, it threatens to injure my digits, it doesn't shred very well, it just sucks! Now, there's a shiny metal one that sits ready for use, in the cabinet. Ahhhhh...just knowing that it's there is a comfort. I'm going to try to sneak out back and treat it to a little bit of Office Space style love a la 3lb sledge hammer. You know, like they all gave the copier in that movie.

We got home at 11am and I had bacon, eggs, toast, grapefruit, and lemonade for lunch. Dessert was cookies and cream ice cream with more oreos added (since they never give you enough in the ice cream anyway). It's a good day!

No comments: