Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Joy

When I returned from half way around the world in the late summer of 1994, I was standing on the fantail of a huge flat-top warship looking down toward the USS Arizona, and at a large flag attached to my boat waving in the light wind, finally back on the land that it was sent from. I was proud of my country and thankful for those who went before.

Today, listening to a poet, a group of musicians, and a new leader for this country, I once again have that feeling. It's hard not to be happy for today and each day that we all enjoy without fear of being shot for what we think.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Both memorable lifetime moments, I am certain. I am glad to feel patriotism again.

AMorris said...

Yup. It was really great to hear my daughter CP's namesake invoked in a speech. http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat/399465/obama_s_vindication_of_thomas_paine

Katie said...

Very cool...