Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Good Kids



"When you're a law student, they tell you if say that if you can't argue the law, argue the facts. They also tell you if you can't argue the facts, argue the law. If you can't argue either, apparently, the solution is to go on a public relations offensive and make it a political issue... to say over and over again "it's lawful", and to think that the American people will somehow come to believe this if we say it often enough.

In light of this, I'm proud of the very civil civil disobedience that was shown here today."

- David Cole, Georgetown University Law Professor


I was out running errands yesterday when I stopped in the post orifice parking lot to call my dad. I still can't remember their address and I forgot to bring my palm pilot along. After exchanging pleasantries about this and that, I tried to point him toward this blog. It turned out to be a funny conversation filled with, "now, look up in the right corner near the box with an x in it" type directions. It cracks me up to hear him saying the letters as he hunts and pecks to create words on the screen.

It's strikes me as odd to see this from a person who:
- when I was a kid, tabulated the grocery cost in his head while we were shopping in the store and then bet the lady at the cash register a coke to see who came closest to the exact amount. This may not seem like much, but we'd only go once a month and my brother and I recall having 3 or 4 carts stacked full on most of our trips.
- can recall problems with specific models of document production machines from almost 30 years ago and probably give part numbers for the parts in them that failed most often.

Anyway, I found some cool stamps while I was at the post orifice and I sent a copy of the book See No Evil to my father. I got the book for xmas and really enjoyed reading it. The LW and I would like to see the movie Syriana some time soon, but I may have to wait for it to come to Casa Video. I don't know if the little one will like all of the noise. The roundtable discussion from the website for the movie has some interesting tidbits, but may not work for those folks on dial-up.

While I was out, I grabbed some of that blue tape for painting and two gallons of California Poppy by Ralph Lauren. That's the color that LW picked for our room and it should brighten things up a bit. Today will be sanding day and hopefully I can paint on Friday.

The LW and I ran over to kinko's last night and got her resume and associated stuff printed out. Her meeting was this morning and it seemed to have gone well. She's excited about the new prospect and I'm happy for her. The work will be a change, but it's similar to what she was doing in Colorado Springs when she was working as a contractor for a big company with military contracts. I guess they have an office here in Tucson and she has the potential to move into other things if she gets it. They don't seem too concerned about the pregnancy stuff and they actually seem to value the documents that are produced which is a big shift from the present employer.

It's beautiful out today and all is well.

No comments: