Monday, July 27, 2009

Arrythmia

It seems as though my heart has begun skipping beats recently, so I might have to go see the doc. I'll be just going along, and then I start getting the flutter/palp thing. I didn't think much of it until I checked my carotid pulse while it was fluttering.....I miss a beat or so, then things start back up. Something tells me that this isn't going to be cheap.

Not too long ago, my LW and I began cutting down our daily calorie intake, but I don't know how much of this could be contributing to the missed beats. I wonder about the effect of a couple of things that happened not too long ago. One was laughing myself silly to the point where I was inadvertently starving oxygen and adding a lot of valsalva type pressure. The second was sneezing really hard when my allergies flared up. Well, everyone laughs and sneezes, but these were in the extreme. I sneezed so hard that it put a lot of pressure on my neck (valsalva again) and actually hurt the right side of my esophagus for a while when swallowing.

I wonder if there might be a little vagus nerve stuff going on. I'm pretty bummed, but feel that I need to go to the doc to make sure that nothing else is going on. The last time I had an ECG was in '90 when I was in the Navy going for the 2nd class swim qual.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yikes! I hope everything turns out ok.

AMorris said...

Yah... right after I wrote this, I found some pretty convincing stuff about dehydration/electrolyte imbalance and how it can contribute to arrhythmia. My joints have been telling me for weeks that I'm running a little low on fluids - time to listen up, I guess.