Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Out of Steam

In 1994, when I was freed from the grip of Uncle Sam's Yacht Club at age 24, I road tripped home to Kansas City in my little red Nissan pickup. Along the way, I stopped at roadside attractions and just took it easy.This freedom from rushing, and from being owned by "the man" was quite a change for a kid who had been in the military for six years and it was an odd time full of new adjustments.

One of my planned stops was Williams, AZ. I picked this stop so that I could ride the steam locomotive up to the Grand Canyon and back. The trip was my first on this type of train and it was a joy. Little did I know that the owners of the train would later sell it out to people who would eventually shut it down. It's a sad day for the kids who might never get to ride the rails and watch the steam fly.

2 comments:

MICHAEL L. REAFSNYDER said...

Did you actually hear that the Grand Canyon line is shutting down?
If possible, could you let me know of any future notifications?
Thanks,
Mike

AMorris said...

I hope that by now, you've read the link that I posted. They're shutting down the steamers.