Monday, April 13, 2009

Windows XP Won't Recognize Firewire SP3

Not long ago I installed SP3 on our box. It was an upgrade, or in this case an U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D since microsoft seems a bit like Idiocracy at times, and it seemingly went well until today when I needed to dump some DV off of the TRV480 handycam. I searched a bit and found this bit of advice on how to modify the Sidspeed parameter that got dumped in the aforementioned change. The string below will take you to the spot in the registry where the work needs to be done. The linked article doesn't give the full string.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\1394_hc_hw_id\1394_instance_id\Device Parameters

I had to add a DWORD entry and set the parameter, but the link above walks you through step by step and if I can do it, anyone can. I restarted the box after this and it immediately picked up the camcorder and it's humming along now.

No comments: